Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Mission of Compassion 6: Lone Grove

Ok, details are starting to come together! Looks like the mission is a GO!

First let me start by stating the needs at this time. I have been in contact with several folks in the area and the common need is trash bags, work gloves, and workers. They have plenty of clothes, so no clothes are needed. I spoke with one of the coordinators at the Lone Grove Assembly of God and he told me that there will be a need for non-perishable foods (canned, etc.) and water. Diapers and baby formula could also be used. So, basically I would like to bring with us:
Large trash bags
Work gloves
Diapers
Formula
Large plastic totes with lids for storage
Cleaning materials for damaged homes (brooms, paper towels, etc.)
Water (I am working on securing some water or sports drink…details later)
Canned food items

I spoke with the pastor at the Church of Christ yesterday & he is making plans to distribute food & water to relief workers and residents on Sunday, and he mentioned that he could use some help. When we get there, we can help in this area after dropping off supplies.

I feel that we should also organize a toy drive for the kids that lost everything. Maybe we can collect new or almost new toys for a few weeks, and return to distribute them. I have an idea for distributing the toys, but I cannot share details yet but trust me, it will be unique and the kids will be blessed by this effort!!

As of now, plans are to leave Verdigris from New Life Baptist Church at noon Sunday, and return Sunday night. A Saturday trip would not be practical at this time.

If you feel that you can help by donating, or coming along, please let me know ASAP!

Lone Grove statistics:
Feb 10, 2009 an EF-4 devastating tornado tore through the community at 7:30pm. Sadly, 9 people lost their lives in this tragedy.
The official numbers for Lone Grove is 118 homes completely destroyed, 28 with major damage, 26 with minor damage, and 16 affected.

No comments: