Friday, February 13, 2009

Mission of Compassion 6....Lone Grove

This is the text of an email I sent out tonight....please let me know if you have any ideas, or can help....

Good evening,

As you all know, a strong EF-4 tornado tore through the Lone Grove and northwestern Ardmore area Tuesday night. The current death toll is 9. The most tragic, in my opinion, is the 13 year old young lady that lost both of her parents in the tornado. The story stated that they were clinging to each other when the tornado hit, and they were torn from each other and thrown from their home. Both parents perished. You all know my heart for kids, and this just breaks my heart.

Several have asked about Mission of Compassion. I am now certain that we need to make an effort to help in some way. I am thinking of the usual items of water, non perishable food, industrial trash bags, baby formula, diapers, gloves, etc. are going to be needed but I have an additional idea…..

There are many children and youth affected by this tragedy. How can we plug in here? Could we possibly host a toy drive to replace lost toys, stuffed animals, bicycles, etc? These are certainly not needed immediately, but maybe as people get settled down a bit, we could help in this area…..

Please shoot me an email with any ideas that you may have, and above all, let’s surely keep these people in our prayers. I will be trying to contact churches & shelters in the area to get details on needed things and how we can help. I will update you with any additional information.

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?" Then I said, "Here am I. Send me!"


God bless,
Jeff Smith
Children & Youth Director
New Life Baptist Church
Verdigris, Oklahoma
918-808-4683
http://jeffsmithphotography.blogspot.com

No comments: